- This event has passed.
Hands-on with Fast.ai
May 27, 2021 @ 2:00 pm - 3:30 pm
Hands on with Fast.ai automatically sort text or images with machine-learning, with Jeremy Merrill.
- Got too much text to read, or too many images to dig through? Make the computer do it, by teaching by example.
- We’ll sort images into categories like “has a bike or doesn’t have a bike” or “is a hog farm or isn’t a hog farm”.
- We’ll sort text into buckets like “is about gun control, environmental policy or immigration”.
- The goal isn’t for the computer to make uncheckable conclusions you’ll rely on in a story, but an easily-checkable conclusion to transform a boring week-long slog into a few hours of data labelling, some coding and a little bit of waiting.
- You’ll leave with two hands-on examples and working code you can adapt for your own projects, but also intuitions about what the AI’s output means to us as journalists.